I agree on the (phillips) screwdriver tips.  They sneak up on you and you don't
realize that they are rounded
off.  What I have done for another alternate is to take a dremmel cut off disc,
the thinnest one and carefully cut a tiny
groove across the head of the screw after first sticking down two small strips
of duct tape on both sides of the screw for protection.
Just a tiny slot is all that is needed, then take a flat blade screwdriver and
try to back it out.  First I (gently) tap the screwdriver head with
a small hammer (gently) this helps loosen the interface between the steel screw
thread and the aluminum.
If you have a new phillips screwdriver you might try the (gentle) tap then turn
approach first and see what happens.
Good luck, I know it is frustrating !
Thumbs up on the drop of oil on the screw threads too !!!

Bob
K6UJ