Hi Paul,
As a new Ham I can not compare the K3 to the older radios as you
requested.  I have never owned any of them.  I ordered the KBPF option
and installed it during my K3 build.  I can say with certainty that I
have received Shortwave broadcasts from EVERYWHERE.  Europe, Middle
East, Australia, China, Taiwan, Japan and everywhere in between.  Clean
signals and all on an 80M dipole in my back yard and not nearly as high
up as I'd like it.

Hope that helps.

Scott
KF5MHS