Two other points.

For six meters, I currently don't have a separate six meter antenna.
>From what I have heard what little is going on with six meters would not
justify the additional expense.  Plus you can add it to your K2 using a
transverter.

The two meter option will cost you $299 for the internal two meter unit
plus $119 for the KXV3a option.  That is considerably more expensive
than vhf or even uhf/vhf FM radios.  Unless you want to do weak signal
or all mode work on two meters, you will not want to incur the extra
expense.  Standard FM transceivers are better set up for working FM
repeaters because their menus and buttons make operation in this mode
easier.

-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Paul Clay
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2012 9:18 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] Need help to justify desired purchase :=)

Hi.

Been thinking about getting a K3.  Have been an extremely pleased
builder-ower of a K2-100 for several years now.  Listening to it now,
and it is a real pleasure!

To be honest, for HF hamming, the K2-100 (w/DSP module) is just fine for
me.  The K3's addition of 6 meters, and more importantly for me, and
ability to add 2 meters are a plus, but PROBABLY not enough alone to
justify the hefty price of ownership.

What's going to justify the purchase for me, nor not, is the ability to
use the K3 as SWL tool. Knowing that a lots been written on the
Reflector in the past on this subject, I'd really like to have some
opinions from owners of the latest versions of the K3 on its performance
receiving broadcast stations.  Specifically, I'm interested in the
current state of the K3's receive audio bandwidth, distortion, and other
similar performance characteristics, and in the performance of its
Synchronous AM detection.

One way of getting at this would be for me to know how the K3 would
compare performance-wise (especially audio performance-wise) to some of
the more popular SW receivers, e.g. the Drake R8 series, the Icom R-75,
etc., or to other transceivers lauded for their receive audio
performance (e.g., the old Kenwood TS-870).

Thanks!
Paul
N6LQ