Gerald,

You can operate data modes with only 2 cables - 3.5mm stereo audio
cables.  One between the K3 line in and the computer headphone jack -
the other between the computer mic jack and the K3 line out.  If your
computer allows switching between mic in and line in levels, set it to
line in and you are all set to go as long as you use the K3 VOX.

If you cannot set the mic jack to line in, you will likely need two
resistors to put an attenuator in the cable between K3 line out and the
computer mic in - use 100k in series and 10k across the cable conductors
- the 10k goes on the mic in side of the 100k resistor.

If you want to use PTT instead of VOX, you will need a USB to serial
adapter (use one with the FTDI chipset) between the computer and the
RS-232 connector on the K3.  Set your application to use either RTS or
DTR for PTT and set the K3 CONFIG: PTT - KEY menu entry to match your
application selection.

One caution - using the serial port signals for PTT and keying may cause
the K3 to go into transmit when the computer boots - the computer does
testing and initialization of those signal lines during the boot
process.  Not a problem, but just something to be aware of.

73,
Don W3FPR