Well....got a brief chance to play with the Koss SB40 headset tonight.

I followed K9YC's advice and set up similar to what others have done for
the Yamaha CM550.  The two bands at -16, third band at -10 and the two
highest at +8.

I worked a few people and they all said the audio sounded very good.
Frankly, in the monitor I thought it sounded terrible.  But most people
don't like the way they sound.  If I get a chance this weekend I plan on
getting on a quiet band with a local that knows my voice before I start
making too many adjustments.

But I will say the SB40's are VERY comfortable. The headphones sound
good as well but I haven't tweaked the RX EQ from my old settings, flat
on SSB and a sharp peak at 400 Hz for CW.

The bands were pretty noisy tonight so more evaluation is in order.

On 3/16/2012 11:52 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 3/15/2012 8:33 PM, Gary K9GS wrote:
>> I haven't used the SB40's yet but will report back once I've played with
>> them a bit.
> One of the guys on the Ten Tec list who does a bit of contesting at a
> multi-op has said good things about a Koss headset, and I suspect it was
> the SB40.  I would expect it to work just fine and sound good with the
> K3.  Suggested settings for the CM500 would be a good starting point for
> the SB40.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Gary K9GS

Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org