OOPs, I misspoke. I wrote: " I dip the wick in some good quality rosin
solder..." I meant "I dip the wick in some good quality rosin FLUX..."

Ron AC7AC

-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Ron D'Eau Claire
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:23 PM
To: 'Elecraft Discussion List'
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] SMT and the K3 - Nerves

Keep in mind that all of the step-by-step procedures in the Elecraft
documents were actually done by the writer, tested by others, and then
refined and improved by customer feedback. That's in accordance with Wayne's
basic requirements for Elecraft manuals. So if you take the time to follow
them closely, you are getting the benefit of the experience of a great many
others who have been there before you.

I have removed hundreds of two-terminal SMDs both by cutting them in half or
by unsoldering one end at a time and lifting the part with never any damage
to the pcb.

At least some techs at Elecraft use this approach too.

Deciding which approach to use takes a little thought about the type of SMD.
Some chokes have very thick bodies that can be hard to cut. The danger there
is more about slipping and damaging a trace or adjacent component than
damaging the pads.

But chokes conduct heat very well, and the solder at the opposite end will
be softened if not melted making it especially easy to heat one end and at
least lift the part up if it doesn't fall off completely. Low value
resistors will act the same way.

Unless someone has manually reworked the board, only a very thin film of
solder is connecting the part to the board in any case. You know how easily
your fine wire solder bends, consider how easily it would bend if flattened
to an extremely thin foil. In most cases, that's all that is bonding the
part to the board.

All that's necessary to remove the component is to lift one end slightly to
break the bond at one end, then do the other. So, if a part feels stiff as
you lift it, go no farther than that. Even so, you'll find that most
components will pop straight up with almost no pressure when one end is
unsoldered.

Be aware that some small components are glued to the board in the
manufacturing process before they are soldered. They may take a little more
"persuading" but it still works. (I've not encountered that in any Elecraft
products.)

Resistors and capacitors are much smaller and easy to cut with sharp cutters
but I prefer heating and lifting when possible.

I prefer solder wick for cleaning pads and removing excess solder from
joints some over-zealous tech flooded with excess solder. I dip the wick in
some good quality rosin solder before applying it with my iron set at about
800F (to compensate for the heat sink effect of the wick). The added fresh
rosin makes a HUGE difference in how efficiently even the most expensive
wick pulls up solder.

My vacuum de-solderer is used only when cleaning out plated through holes.

Success working with SMDs requires the right tools. As a minimum, you want a
temperature-controlled (and ESD safe) soldering station with a very fine
tip. I use a tiny spade tip (1mm) or a conical pointed tip for really small
stuff. Some good tweezers are a life-saver, but I never use the spring
loaded or locking forceps type. They easily launch an SMD across the room. I
use the type I must squeeze and then work with the least pressure needed. I
put the SMD in about the right spot, slide in into exact place and then hold
it down for soldering one end, often with a wooden toothpick. You don't need
more than two hands. Just hold the part with one hand and then touch your
iron to your wire solder to pick up a drop and carry it to one end of the
SMD. Use the tiniest drop possible.

I talked my dentist out of some tools he no longer wanted. Most dentists
replace their tools regularly. Some dental picks and hoes are great for
manipulating tiny parts.

Good light and your favorite magnifiers (if needed) to see clearly are
essential.

Of course there are those who invest in multiple point soldering irons
special SMD holding jigs, etc. They speed up the work a lot but are not
really needed for casual building or rework.

At the other extreme you can get away with very simple tools. I've sat
cross-legged on the deck of a ship rolling at sea holding a pc board between
my knees and replaced SMD's using a butane-powered soldering iron and done
it successfully, but I don't recommend it for myself or anyone else if
there's any better tools or work space available.

New techniques take practice but you will be successful the first time by
simply following the recommended procedure, paying attention and taking your
time.

73,

Ron AC7AC