Both at work and at home, I use two irons to remove SMD parts. The earlier
poster that warned against pad damage when clipping a chip in half was
right on; the damage won't occur most of the time, but it will certainly
happen on the hardest to remove or the hardest to replace board ;-) And, I
maintain that there's a special place in hell reserved for people who
design in 0402 and smaller parts when they have plenty of real estate on
the board!!

73,

geo - n4ua