From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of amsct...@comcast.net
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2012 5:02 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Power Supplies

Most of the answer's to Fred's questions can be found on the company's website,
but...

- Yes, it's a switching design
- The feet/tabs/protrusions are metal. These are provided so as to allow the
user (installer?) to bolt them into a cabinet or onto a desk. There are
adhesive rubber feet that are shipped with the supply.

As for the entire switching/linear debate...

I've used both over the years. I currently have an older (linear) Agilent
supply in the shack which was the primary DC supply, as I am disinclined to use
hobby supplies of any type. The Bulldog is, even when compared to professional
gear, quieter, the output looks the same on a scope, I haven't heard it on my
radio(s) yet and it emits much less waste heat than any linear supply I have
ever come in contact with. The waste heat issue alone is one of my primary
motivations for installing a switching supply, and is an important
consideration in a number of commercial systems. High-quality switching
supplies offering high "up-time" are common-place today in many
mission-critical applications.

Also, aside from the highest-quality, professional linear supplies, I have
personally witnessed fewer transformer delaminations and filter capacitor
problems from switching supplies. Yes, there are plenty of "bad" switching
supplies out there, but then are "bad" linear supplies as well.

I guess I just find it odd that several responses promote a brand of linear
supply that has webpages devoted to address a myriad of shortcomings, and yet
this supply is met with (in my opinion) excessive skepticism, primarily on the
basis of it's "switching" design.

Mike Alexander - N8MSA

amsct...@comcast.net