Those Astrons ... The SS-30M, I took the cover off and went, "YUK!" It is a
switching power supply and my first thought is to treat it like I treat
computer power supplies .... I liked it because it small and light weight
and it fit perfect in my portable station container.

As for the VS-50M, today is the first time I have turned it on in 15 years
and the problem there was simply oxidation on the voltage control pot. A
couple of squirts of DeOxit and it is working as it should. As a precaution
I loosened and then tightened all the screws on the caps and regulator board
as other have mentioned. I purchased it used.

I also have an Astron RS-12 that serves to power shack accessories. I
purchased it used 10 years ago to replace a homebrew power supply (1983 ARRL
handbook page 5-22) that took a lightening hit (fixed it).

That SS-30M, I guess it may have been a bit light for running the K3.

I have read everyone's posts and been to the links. Thanks all, it's was
educating. Now 20 CW is wide open over the pole.

73, Mike WA5POK