James, KB2FCV wrote:
I forgot to turn the RF Gain down on the K2 and it took a full blast (with
the volume turned pretty far
up) hit with the RF Gain all the way up due to being up all night working
CW. Then after that the K2's receiver just doesn't sound the same, strong
signals will just sound over driven.. like a speaker is blown or something.
What kinds of things could have happened and what kinds of things would be
good to start looking for?

----------------------------

The RF Gain control in the K2 does not protect ANYTHING except maybe the
loudspeaker. In the K2 what is called "RF Gain" is actually a manual I.F.
Gain control, changing the amount of gain of the I.F. amplifier just like
the AGC does. On a K2 the only control over the gain up at the antenna input
is done by switching in or out the attenuator or the preamplifier.

If you damaged something in the front end, you can expect the K2 to be
uniformly deaf across all the bands. It wouldn't cause audio to be
distorted.

Check your audio with the phones. If they sound FB, you blew the speaker.
Even that is a surprise. The K2 audio channel was designed for low current
drain so it isn't exactly high-powered! Still, anything can happen.

Ron AC7AC