A lot of Equipment manufacturers I work with have stopped
shipping printed manuals.  You get a printed "Quick Start"
or "installation guide" with the product and either a DVD/CD
ROM with the manual in PDF or a website to download and
print the latest iteration of the manual in PDF.

Printed manuals are both expensive and hard to keep current.
There are many benefits to paper manuals, but also many
benefits to "soft" manuals.  There are mutual benefits to
both the manufacturer and the customer, and yes, detractions
as well. One video server device that I use has the manual
included in the product's hard drive as a web page which
they update remotely and automatically via the internet as
needed.  Anywhere you use the product, the manual is as
close as the client computer's browser. When (not *IF*,
*WHEN*!) the server goes down, though, how do you reference
the manual if you didnt print it or move it to your
Ipad/Tablet?

Im still not "paperless" in manuals and technical reference
documents; I like to have a printed version around. Its an
old habit. But Im a dying breed. More and more, I see IPads
or Tablets being used for this purpose, a handheld
"reference library" of sorts.  Its quite efficient with text
search functions... that is, until you need the manual at a
remote site when the power is out and the battery in the
device runs down.

The tech in the gear we use today is more and more software
based.  It changes so quickly and so often, usually by the
time the product ships, the manual is several iterations
old.  Its a sign of the times. I have been doing a lot of
thinking about this issue at work recently.

So, Im wondering, how upset would us Elecraft customers be
if paper manuals were not included with the product? When
purchasing the product, you would have to either download
the manual from the web and print it if you wanted a printed
copy or get it on Optical Media and print it from there
Just wondering what everybody thinks about these scenarios.
Is it blasphemy?  Is it progress?

Lu - W4LT
K3/P3/K1

Message: 5