Rich said:

intelligibility is concentrated around 1-2K Hz.  Yes?

I think so. If my failing memory serves, early Bell Labs work found that
300 - 3000 Hz was the minimum- width audio  band which preserved
intelligibility
and allowed the speaker to be recognized.
That became the basis of the  A/D converters which in turn fed the
T-series [T-1, T-2 etc] of  digital transmission systems for the
telephone network.
On the other hand, much of this thread seems to be about speech fidelity
[Does it sound Great?] as opposed to intelligibility [Can I copy it?]

Eric
VA7DZ

--

"Democracy depends on well-informed voters;
absent that, it is all mud flowing down hill."

believed to be clean.