From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Don Wilhelm
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2012 7:48 PM
To: Ronald Nutter
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] CW Key suggestions ?

Ron,

For paddles, the Hex Key from Elecraft is always a good choice - it is about
half the cost of premium paddles from N3ZN or Bengali (use Google).

I recently acquired a single lever paddle from Tony N3ZN and can tell you it
is a work of art and extremely smooth operating.

For straight keys, check out the popular auction sites for J-38 key, or look
at the N3ZN straight keys (not yet priced) at
http://www.n3znkeys.com/c/7/straight-keys-coming-soon.

Nostalgia fever has driven the price of the J-38 key up considerably.
Back in the '50s when I was a new ham, they were available for $1 or $2
- but then you could also buy an ARC-5 transmitter or receiver for $5 - we
generally stripped those for parts to use in other homebrew projects, but
some remain intact and are selling for high prices if they are still in good
original condition.

73,
Don W3FPR