Paul Bruneau wrote:
You might be right, but I'd like to understand why - it sounds like you'd be making an almost ideal lightning target :-)

I think it's already a target, being a conductor in the sky and all, and
[...]
That's how I think of it, but having said all that, I'm in a nice low area that never ever gets struck, so I don't worry about it.

I remember operating VHF, hearing a thunderstorm in the distance and thinking it was time I shut down, and just before ending my QSO, realising I was chatting to a chap who's QTH was in Guildford - the direction of the oncoming thunderstorm. "Aren't you shutting down? That thunderstorm must be almost on top of you?", "Oh it's all around me, but I've got Guildford Cathedral almost outside my window and a few hundred feet above me, so I figure it's gonna get hit and I'm not!". Nutter! :-)

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, Senior Sysadmin.
#include <stddisclaimer>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]