On Aug 30, 2005, at 4:18 AM, Nick Waterman wrote:

Serious?

What's more likely to be hit by lightning? A big, high-up, earthed conductor, or a big, high-up conductor who's potential is allowed to drift around a bit?

The only time I've suffered any lightning damage is when my antennas were disconnected for Field Day. It wasn't a direct hit, but an induced strike that took out about 45 feet of open wire line by vaporizing both conductors.

In fact, when scientists want to study lightning, don't they do it by attaching earthed wires to fireworks and shooting them into thunderclouds?

Yes, they do.

You might be right, but I'd like to understand why - it sounds like you'd be making an almost ideal lightning target :-)

I don't pretend to understand everything about lightning, since it is an odd subject. However, grounding lowers the effective height of the antennas by making it have the same potential as the ground.

A disconnected antenna can float and build up considerable charge, which will make it a target.

Some contesters in the mid-west have told tales of big storms approaching, only to have the lightning stop as it passes over their multiple, grounded tower installations and then resume after it drifts past. The grounding tends to bleed off any charge that would preceed a strike.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901