Stephen W. Kercel wrote:

BTW, you cannot really design to survive a direct hit. If your antenna is actually struck by lightning, the antenna itself will most likely be destroyed, along with the coax and the rig. Also the building will suffer structural damage.

I don't think that's quite true. BC stations survive direct hits every day. I would agree, however, that it would cost more than most hams are willing to spend.

You would need an antenna some distance from the building, with an appropriate lightning ground system (multiple radials, each with several ground rods on it) at the base of the tower. Then you would need lightning suppressors at the top and bottom of the tower for all coax and control lines. At the entrance to the building, you would need a single entrance panel, through which all power, antenna, telephone, etc. lines feeding the building would pass and on which were mounted the appropriate suppressors for all the above. At this point there would be another ground system, bonded of course to the antenna ground system.

If you had a separate building for a shack, this probably wouldn't be too hard; but for a building that also serves as a home it might be difficult!

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco