I concede that a lot of 24 bit cards are no better than 16 bits.
However, I stand by what I said that it is better to use a 24 bit A/D.

It is also true that most receivers are externally noise limited up
through around 15 meters. And, that gets to a design subtlety known as
proper gain distribution in the receive chain and proper noise figure
design, It sure makes little sense to design a radio that has a 15db
noise figure for say 80 meters where excess external noise might be
around 80db; I suggest CCIR-322 as a reference. But that doesn't mean
one should run his radio at wide open gain from 160-10 meters. Yet, we
hams do that most of the time. It would be a surprise to me if more of
us didn't complain about overload.

Having said all of that and possibly adding to the fog of this
discussion, I would suggest that 80-90 db would probably satisfy most,
most of the time. The exceptions might be contests and 40 meters in the
evening when the international BC gets going full bore.  But, that
should be based on a 10log function and not a 20log function. A good
sound card would be my recommendation if you are doing what I do, run
the KX3 as SDR ala FlexRadio. If all you plan to do is use SDR software
for panadapter purposes, It probably doesn't make  a lot of difference.

The technology is here today to go first class, or nearly so, so why
not. If you have a KX3, you are right up there, so why not get a good
card and finish the job for another $100-$150. The software is free.

73,
Barry
K3NDM