Joe,
     I agree with most all of it except the end. That's a discussion
many have been involved in for the last 10 years that I know of.

     You are right on when you say a 16 bit A/D will work fine for the
times you are taking the line out out for the demoded audio. I seriously
doubt that many communications receivers' audio have the dynamic range
of the A/D following.

     I do use the raw I and Q out of my KX3. It's one of the best
selling features of the radio, besides its inherent good performance.
Interestingly enough, I pipe the output of my 24 bit card which is used
for basic demod to my 16 bit card for digital work. And, why not. I
control the level going into the latter card directly so that it doesn't
overload. In other words, I might be viewed as cheating. But, it does
work great. I do highly recommend some form of this to anyone who wants
to try something that is fun and effective. I do admit it had it
frustrations, but the result has been very pleasing. My next step is to
get a cable that I can feed audio back into the mic connector and
control the PTT.

73,
Barry
K3NDM