Years and years ago, I was involved in an area that had to do with
propagation and circuit path analysis. I was in a room full of academics
when the hot discussion began. The issue was what is the instantaneous
dynamic range of the environment. There were two schools of thought. One
said that the environment had a dynamic range of 120db and the other
said 144db. What is missed by outsiders to this is the question for what
period of time? As path reliability is quoted as a probability, time
matters. As it turns out all of these folk were fighting over a period
represented by less than 5%. And, most of the published environmental
data is for the median, 50% of the time.

There was a study that someone wrote and published a number of years ago
in QST that stated 80db was all you need as a ham. And, the author gave
his reasons. I think it should be a bit more, but we could start another
thread on that issue.

I have done direct down conversion SDRs using 16 bit 100MHz A/Ds.
However, you really don't get 100MHz bandwidth as Nyguist says you need
to sample at least 2X the bandwidth of interest. And adding a little
practicality to that, you really don't get 1/2 the bandwidth either as
you would like some over-sampling. If you want to play with this, Analog
Devices makes the A/D that I used. However they ain't cheap.

I can assure  you that direct sampling works. There are some real tricks
involved known to the DSP engineers, of which I am not one. But, it
works and works well.

To account for what you are concerned with, what you really want is an
inverse taper of receiver gain, less gain at the bottom and more at the
top. By doing this, environmental noise will less likely overwhelm your
A/D, yet total system noise figure can be maintained such that you will
always be externally noise limited. And secondarily, Don't use too much
gain up front. Distribute the gain along the receiver chain to keep
dynamic range. This latter point is how you get quiet, high dynamic
range, sensitive receivers.

Spending more than say $150 for a really good sound card probably
doesn't make a whole lot of sense when using a KX3. But, I admit I do
like the idea of the capability to mess with the thing as I do. If
you're saner than I, use the sound card in you computer. It will work
quite well when using the line out. You just miss the fun of an
additional play toy.

73,
Barry
K3NDM