Tony,
     You are correct. I do use 2 cards. My "good one", EMU-0202, takes
the I & Q data from the KX3 and gives me demoded audio which is piped
into a follow on digital program  using VAC. My laptop's sound card
takes the audio from VAC for use with my digital software It just never
occurred to me to try anything else. I use FLDIGI and MixW as the follow
on software. I like both.

     BTW: The KX3 manual implies that going to 192KHz is not the best
idea as there is fall off in response that far out. It's hardly
noticeable at 48KHz, so I use that. As I am tuning the KX3 in sync with
what I do on the screen, It hasn't been a problem for me.  I can change
the sampling rate to greater than 48KHz if I want. I just don't.

     After you get it all sorted out, it should knock your socks off.
It's been the most fun that I've had in a while.

73,
Barry
K3NDM