I put my new KPA500 (s/n 1057) together earlier this week and have been
loving it, although it has seen only light use so far.

However, that changed this afternoon.  I used it briefly on 40m LSB a few
hours ago and all was fine.  About 35w of drive for 550w out.  I just
retuned the antenna to the low end of the band, yielding a 1.0:1 SWR at the
K3 in the standby mode of the KPA500.  When I switched the amp to operate
and keyed the transmitter (tune control), the amp power LEDs jumped up to
about 500w and then went to 0.  Subsequent keying  show a very high SWR at
the K3 (65 to 99:1) and the K3 puts out no power as does the KPA500.  I
tried a dummy load with the same result.  If the amp is in standby mode the
K3 acts right and the power and SWR LEDs on the KPA500 act right (100w out
at a low SWR).  Putting the amp into operate mode acts like the input SWR is
very high.

I tried tightening up the cables at both ends (BTW, I am using the control
cable between the rig and amp for maximum integration, and the K3 knows to
reduce the power out when the amp is in operate).

I hope I am doing something wrong, and the fix is simple.  Any suggestions
of where to begin?  Thank you.

73,
Phil, NS7P