On 9/22/2012 3:05 PM, Bill K9YEQ wrote:
> Fred,
>
> More than likely you are changing freqs and the amplifier/K3 are folding
> back power based on detected antenna complex loading issues. Until the
> KAT500 becomes available, you don't need 100 watts on any band to get 500W
> out!  Back off your per band settings and test.  Whatever you are using for
> your tuner, I would suspect it is not matching.

I think I wasn't clear Bill, and unfortunately, it's not the first time.
:-)  The KPA500 wants between 25 and 30 watts, depending on band for 500
watts out.  The irreproducible "problem" I described seems to be in the
dual-power memories in the K3.  The most common manifestation is:

1.  KPA500 --> STBY, usually because I punched up a new band on it.

2.  K3 TUNE:  Mine is 5W.  I tune up the antenna coupler [MFJ 989-C],
SWR=1:1

3.  KPA500 --> OPER, because I pressed the switch

4.  K3 TUNE:  SWR still 1:1, but now into the KPA500 of course, output
power around 60W [still 5W tune power from the K3]

5.  Tap K3 TUNE, now I'm receiving and ready to TX.  KPA500 is in OPER.
  K3 should have gone to 25-30W depending on the band.  Start to send,
KPA500 output is still around 60W [and the DX calls someone else], and
when I move the K3 PWR knob to check the setting, it is still at 5W.
The only way I've found to get it back to the 25-30W range is to turn
the PWR knob.

This only happens every now and then, more often then than now, nearly
all the time it works as expected ... ending TUNE on the K3 sets the
power to 25-30W if the KPA500 is in OPER, 100W if it isn't.  If I had to
guess [hardly ever a productive troubleshooting technique], it looks
like the power memories are fine, the K3 is just missing some signal to
tell it to go into normal operate mode with an active KPA500.

The reverse problem ... running barefoot at 100W and I put the KPA500
into OPER [using the front panel switch] because the DX isn't answering
me [and I'm going to show these clods in the pile!] and the K3 stays at
100W [lighting up the 500 :-)] has happened a few times, not nearly as
often as the reverse problem described above.

I've tried re-seating the big cable between the KPA500 and K3 several
times, once with a drop of DeOxit into the contacts, with essentially no
change.

Since I can't make it happen on command, I'm loath to do much more than
mention it here, and maybe should stop that.  I sent my K2 to Don once
with what I perceived as a clear problem, he spent a lot of time for
which I'm sure he did not charge me, and couldn't make it fail.  It's
never happened again, in fact I managed NH8S just before QRT with K2 @
5W to my new AlexLoop out on our deck.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org