From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Oliver Dröse
Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2012 2:12 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net List
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KAT500

> * Instant memory-tuning (and antenna selection!) on band change
> (without needing to make any RF)

Antenna selection yes, memory no. How shall the tuner know which frequency
you are tuned to and which memories it should recall? BCD data only encode
the band, not the frequency. With the bands "sliced" into several segments
for which tuning memories are stored (presuming the KAT500 works the same as
the KAT3 and KXAT3 - I would bet on it, hi) you *will* need to "send a dit"
for the tuner to recognize on which frequency within a band you are and
which memory must be recalled.

Judging from the auto RF detection / band change routine in the KPA500 I bet
you will not even recognize the tuner's doing it. But that does not mean it
does not do it. ;-)

73, Olli - DH8BQA