I normally don't chime in on these things... My initial reaction after reading Mr. Screeden's comments was "what a pompous jerk!" But after re-reading the article, I think Mr.Screeden is referring to Ham radio is all you got left when he is stating "pretty close to nothing" and not being demeaning. I think the reporter put his comments out of context which they do to stir up the pot and keep their ratings up so that people come back for more. Motorola should not be apologizing (because I don't think his intentions were what the article leads us to believe). I think the media needs to apologize. The media is a joke.

I know that this whole disaster has motivated me to take the ARES courses from the ARRL and get involved in our local ARES organization. My wife is even thinking of participating (She would make an awesome net controller!!!)

Going back to lurking...

Jason N8XE

EricJ wrote:

Your post didn't include this quote from Mr. James Screeden who is a Vice
President at Motorola working in the field, drawing a salary, and tending to
the needs of his commercial accounts, NOT the suffering people of New
Orleans.

"The hams also get little respect from telecommunications-equipment
companies, such as Motorola Inc. "Something is better than nothing, that's
right," says Jim Screeden, who runs all of Motorola's repair teams in the
field for its emergency-response business. "But ham radios are pretty close
to nothing." Mr. Screeden says ham radios can take a long time to relay
messages and work essentially as "party lines," with multiple parties
talking at once.
I think Mr. Screeden owes an apology for demeaning the hard work and
dedication of those hams who go unpaid and unreimbursed to help in this and
other disasters. Mr. Screeden should be ashamed, Motorola should be ashamed,
and this mean-spirited insult should not go unanswered.

You can contact the following person to let your views be known:

Media Center
Steve Gorecki
Motorola, Inc.
847-538-0368
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I think the ARRL should demand a formal apology from Mr. Screeden and his
superiors at Motorola, but I think every amateur radio operator should
contact Mr. Gorecki and express your own thoughts.

Eric
KE6US