Just got my K1 Backlight Kit, and installed it. It took maybe an hour. More
details on my website:

www.ke6us.com

The only problem I had was with the length of the LED backlight. Page 4
shows an illustration that says to cut it to 1-1/4", but doesn't say
anything about having to cut it in the directions. Mine had obviously
already been cut...poorly. It was cut at an angle and was about 1-1/2" long.
This is a little too long for the space it fits in, but probably would work.
I recut it squarely to 1-1/4" with a razor saw before removing the masking
tape used during the original cutting.

I used the 200 ohm resistor for the brightest display, which is none to
bright.  It's nowhere near as bright as the K2 if that's what you are
expecting. However, I think it will be just fine in a campsite where you
want to see the display, but not light up the campsite. Besides, if it isn't
bright enough, it will take 10 minutes to open the radio and change the
resistor later. I'm going to live with it and see how it is in the field.

I measured total current drain at 68ma with a K1-4 with ATU. I can certainly
live with that.

I'm happy with the mod.

Eric
KE6US