Iain,

May I suggest that you find a pair of efficient speakers rather than
just one.  Even if you do not have the subRX, you can enjoy the
enhancement offered by the AFX effects.
I am not going to mention any specifics because I just don't know. If
you want shortwave listening in addition to ham bands, you will want
high fidelity speakers - I would look for a pair of "bookshelf"
speakers.  The ones I was fortunate enough to find in a 2nd hand store
are old Radio Shack Optimus speakers which are cubes with the height
about the same as the K3.

Computer speakers will work fine, but most are amplified and can respond
with nasty noises in the presence of RF.  If you can find a pair of
shielded speakers, that effect may not be a problem.

So shop the 2nd hand stores in your area, and maybe you can find
something suitable at a very low price.

BTW, the Elecraft speaker now has a 7 inch wire and connector attached,
so replacement is simply a matter of loosening the hardware and
attaching the new speaker - no soldering.  I have to remove that wire
when building a K2, but for the K3, it is a perfect fit.

73,
Don W3FPR.