This may work out to be an optimization problem where you need to find the gradient of the LC surface and descend down that gradient.

Imagine the SWR as the z axis of a basin. This basin is your attractor with the best SWR at the bottom of the basin. The x axis is your choice for L and the y axis is your choice of C in this tuner setup. The simplest method is to find the gradient by choosing a few points at random to begin to describe the character of the basin. Hopefully it is a simple basin with no false minima. There are ways of determining how to walk around them but that is a bit tougher than I want to explain right now.

Since the function of this basin is not known a priori you will need to make the random choices I mentioned earlier. This can be used to perform piecewise differentiation to determine the gradient of the steepest path. Think of the gradient as the fall line a skier takes to go down the slope in the fastest manner. If you can determine the gradient you can adjust the L and C of your tuner in the direction indicated until you start to increase the SWR. At that point you simply back up to the one before and you're done.

It is almost my bedtime so write me a note if you think you want to try this and I'll write out the mathematics of it in algorithmic form instead of my little thought experiment. It truly can solve your problem in a very short number of iterations. If you like you can determine the gradient at every step to achieve the optimal solution. This will take a little longer but your answer will be the best one you can get.

Sincerely,
   Kevin Rock.