On Sep 13, 2005, at 11:08 PM, Vic K2VCO wrote:

I bet Wayne knows a good algorithm!

Indeed I do. And it took several weeks of serious R & D and coding the first time we developed an ATU (KAT2).

Among other things, the code uses four tuning phases, each with different granularities; time-based SWR target adjustment; hand-tuned, pseudo-grayscale switching of latching relays; SWR-based look-ahead tree pruning (borrowing extensively from game theory); scaled L-C stepping near local minima; and, when possible, L-C range prediction based on band information.

It was a wonderful, hair-pulling, sleep-depriving, learning experience that I wouldn't deny anyone by giving away the details ;)

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---