If you want something reasonably portable that will deploy quickly, you might consider the EFHW vertical antenna from the Emergency Amateur Radio Club in Hawaii:

http://www.earchi.org/92011endfedfiles/Endfed6_40.pdf

You can buy some or all of the parts needed from the club, and the cost includes Priority Mail shipping. The complete parts list an instructions are in the PDF file if you want to roll your own.

I hate radials, so this turned out to be a great antenna.  None required!

You can hang it in a tree, or mount it on something like a 33-foot Jackite Pole.

I've lost the source, but there is a video on YouTube that shows a ham in New York setting one up in an old umbrella stand on his deck.
Check this out, also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWkpQ785Pjo&noredirect=1

73 de Jim - AD6CW