If it is a wired-in smoke detector, try putting a .01 uFd 1400-volt "AC rated" cap directly across 120-volt AC power leads. If that isn't enough, then try a capacitor the between (across) the wire, if there is one, that connects it to the other detectors and the AC neutral lead. If the unit is battery powered, try a .01 uFd 600 V cap across the detection chamber. That may work, but if not, get used to the idea of having to move it. Always test and verify proper operation of the unit by blowing actual smoke from burning wood matches into the unit after making any modifications of this nature. Pressing the "test" button is not enough - use actual smoke.

- Jim, KL7CC