  From: Jim Wiley
  To: haircut...@verizon.net
  Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
  Sent: Friday, February 01, 2013 11:40 AM
  Subject: Re: [Elecraft] annoying problem

  If it is a wired-in smoke detector, try putting a .01 uFd 1400-volt "AC
  rated" cap directly across 120-volt AC power leads.  If that isn't
  enough, then try a capacitor the between (across) the wire, if there is
  one,  that connects it to the other detectors and the AC neutral lead.
  If the unit is battery powered, try a .01 uFd 600 V cap across the
  detection chamber.  That may work, but if not, get used to the idea of
  having to move it.  Always test and verify proper operation of  the unit
  by blowing actual smoke from burning wood matches into the unit after
  making any modifications of this nature.  Pressing the "test" button is
  not enough - use actual smoke.

  - Jim, KL7CC