> Q #1: why is 500-600 hz offset reccommended by the manual.?  What's
> wrong with, say, 750 hz?

I have no idea

> Q #2:  What is, or who are the FISTS ops, and what freqs?

FISTS is an international society for the preservation of Morse code (which, if there were any justice in the world, would be called the Vail code). Members tend to congregate 50 to 55 KHz above the bottom of the band. You can join (can't remember the price), and you get a number which you can exchange with other members for various forms of fame (no fortune, unfortunately). My number is 11151. FISTS members will usually match your speed so it's a fairly good way to get in some CW practice if you need it.

> Is this a joke?

No. SOC is the joke. My SOC number is 633, although it doesn't seem to matter much except in the SOC marathon, where it also doesn't seem to matter. SOC does not do fame or fortune.

Any more questions?

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA CM98lw

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Q #1: why is 500-600 hz offset reccommended by the manual.?  What's wrong with,
say, 750 hz?
Q #2: What is, or who are the FISTS ops, and what freqs? Is this a joke?
Tks, George, N4YM