Mark,

I never call "CQ FISTS" unless it's a FISTS contest; and that may be what you heard. When there's a contest going on, everyone has to spread out a bit.

Mosts FISTS will QSO with anyone, whether they're a FISTS member or not, Heck, it's a good recruitment tool! Unfortunately, I have heard of instances where fellow FISTS, hellbent on collecting FISTS numbers, have refused and have only hurriedly QSOd with a non-member. Fortunately, I can count the number of times I have heard this on the fingers of one hand.

For the most part, the folks I know from FISTS are 'salt of the earth" types of folks and will QRS to a slower speed, if you need.

73 de Larry W2LJ