The cleanest installation is to put the radials in the ground - but, not portable at all. The idea is a capacitance connection with the earth. I have used welded steel cattle fence in the past - I build a mat that is about 30 or 40 feet out from the base of the antenna.

For raised radials - they must be resonate to function properly. Three or four per band or related band. They have to be high enough that they present no danger to anyone roaming around your antenna field. They can be drooping or horizontal - both work well.

Personally, I do wonder about the new fangled "no radials required" antennas. But, I have an old R5 and it works well. Perhaps the way to go is a new antenna that just gets bolted to a post and a feedline attached. Sure makes life easier and from folks I talk to all the time - they do work. Forget that they are a little expensive. You buy an antenna to use for years.

Read the eHam reviews and see what other users are saying before you buy anything. Ask on the air.

The best I ever had was a Butternut of some kind over a bunch of buried fence. Might still be the way to go. But, if I was doing it now, I'd be looking at a "no radials required" antenna. My reasoning is somewhat age related.

Be looking forward to the sage advice that will come from this post. It is summer - so it is antenna time.

Bill W2BLC