My today's experience was that my nice KX3/ATU which happily tuned my random
wire when running from a power supply two weeks ago refused to load the same
wire at the same location on all bands below 10 megs when running from the
internal battery. However, I could convince it to tune the antenna while I was
touching the case of the transceiver (I have been doing some simulations In
order to gain some understanding why the german "Multiband-Fuchskreis" sold by
a german Elecraft reseller seems to work in some situations and doesn't work
for others and just used what I learned from my simulations)

 Obviously the "counterpoise" was missing (or in my words the capacitance of
the case to ground was not high enough). I could not test if plugging the
headphones in and using them is sufficient to increase the capacitance
sufficiently ;-)

So, although not directly related to elevated radials, this former OT post has
a relation to Elecraft equipment now ;-)

BTW, is there any idea concerning the order of magnitude of the capacitance of
a human body (6ft tall, normal weight) with respect to ground?

Vy 73, Ralf, DL6OAP