Someone else once called the KRC2 his least favorite piece of Elecraft
equipment.  I would like to concur with that assessment.

I have one of these, purchased used some years ago.  At that time I was
attempting to use it with my TS-870 and despite some handholding and a
"special" hex file sent to me by Elecraft, I was never satisfied with it and
gave up.

Since I apparently have too much time on my hands and/or am a glutton for
punishment, I decided to give it another try with my K3.  I know that the
"preferred" method of interfacing to the K3 is via the aux bus, but I want to
use it via the serial port and not have yet another cable dangling off the back.

Mine has the "ACC" mod (although I never added the speaker) KRC2ACC v1.5 PIC.
The first problem is that there are various versions of software on the
Elecraft website.  There are "old" versions that read hex files and a newer
"beta" version (KRC Downloader 2.1.7) that is (I think) standalone.  The
problem with this one is that the screenshot of what it should look like bears
only passing resemblance to what the program interface actually looks like.

Furthermore, from what I've seen, the "ACC" needs different firmware, but this
new downloader has no option to select a file.

As it stands, the new program reports "v1.6" when querying the KRC2 and when
sending a bandmap declares that it was done successfully.  The "F1" and "F2"
buttons will cycle through the bands and source the various outputs
successfully, however, switching bands on the K3 does nothing.

I've used a scope to look at the XCVR in connector and the RxD signal is
toggling okay and getting through the MAX1406 to the Rx pin of the PIC.  From
there, nothing appears to happen.

All jumpers are installed per the tables.

So, what is the correct firmware?  How about Elecraft trashing any obsolete
firmware on the web page and making it clearer how this thing should be
programmed.

Wes  N7WS