Don,

I stand corrected. I think my frustration with this whole process is showing.
Nevertheless, the software/firmware is not all in one place on the website.
It's always puzzled me to see firmware located in the "Document and Manual
Download Page" (The KRC Download Program) and the Decoder Configuration
Software located in the Software page.  Yes, I know there is a link to the
former from the latter, but it still isn't logical. And to repeat myself, the
screen shot of the downloader software on the website is different from the
look of the actual program.

I have finally gotten this thing to work after reloading the firmware again.
One issue that compounded the problem (and perhaps made me think it wasn't
working) is the fact that the band frequency limits differ between using the
up/down band switch and the VFO.

Since the band definitions aren't documented (AFAIK) for the configuration
software, I tried to empirically determine them.  For example: if using the
band switch, the 20-meter output is active for frequencies between 13000.000
and 14999.999 KHz.  However, once active, the VFO can be tuned above 15000 KHz
and it will remain active even though a band change relay has changed.  Other
bands behave similarly.

Perhaps this is why the AUXBUS is the recommended method.  I have now
implemented that method and with some more fussing around have it working.
It's interesting (or puzzling) to note that the frequency limits for each band
appear to be different (by my measurements) between the RS-232 and AUXBUS
configurations.  Twenty-meters, for example, maps to 13.000 to 16.999999 MHz,
far different from the RS-232 mapping.

Also six-meters didn't work with the configuration performed with the program
even though it dutifully reported v1.6 and showed 6-meters mapping to XV1. The
KRC configuration in the K3 menu speaks of tapping the "1" key to change from
"Band6=B6" to "Band6 = B10" and suggesting referring to the KRC Manual for more
on this.  I find nothing about it in the KRC-2 manual.  I had to determine this
empirically along with some power cycling to get it working as expected.

Another place where reality differs from the documentation is in the K3 manual
under CONFIG Menu KRC where it says, "Controls the KRC2 band decoder's
accessory output settings.  "Shows ACC OFF or ACC1-3 if a KRC is detected, - -
if not."  It actually shows ACC OFF or ACC1-6", with ACC3, 4, 5 and 6 all
mapping to ACC3.

In conclusion, this could be so much simpler with more clarity in the
documentation.

Wes N7WS