I unask the first question (how to raise K2 output power). But in
self-defense,
I knew that:
       PAs have better distortion properties with higher supply voltages
       14->20W is about 1 dB but 10->20W is 3.01 dB (3 dB MATTERS!)
        operating above 10W on ssb with the K2 was not a good idea as
designed
               and I would only do so in a true emergency
        the PA devices would need to be replaced
        the PA output network would need to be redesigned completely
        the driver stage would need to at least have a huskier device
        the existing K2 PA heatsink method may be marginal already
        I would be barraged by nay-sayers

but I did not know that the MCU was so tightly involved in power level
control.

Purchasing the new 100W amp from Elecraft wouldn't meet my needs for at
least
three reasons:
           for the same $$$ I could get a used Herc II !!
           fails the one box test
           would be much less efficient at 20W than a solution designed for
20W

I am still looking for a known solution to the relatively low RX audio
issue.
While buying the K2 audio filter module would work, it is an expensive
option.
(Does anyone have a used KAF2 laying around?)

Now as a well-known QRPer (KU7Y) often says

    "now back into my hole"

--
73     Allan    K7GT