> I think there is a lot of evidence that 3dB does not matter. 10dB matters. 6dB might matter.

My thoughts on this are that if 3 dB mattered much, then QRP, down 13 dB from 100w and 23 dB from a KW, would not work at all, or at least not often. But we all know that QRP does work.

Now . . . contesters view this differently. If one is going head-to-head against another station to grab a Q and run, then, yes, 3 dB can be a deal breaker. The weaker station comes in 2nd, has to wait for the Q and loses a few seconds. Might miss another Q or even - gasp! - a multiplier. But in the ordinary course of events 3 dB is not terribly significant. Even in EmComm I'm not sure how significant 3 dB is.

If one is way out in the woods, where rescue time is measured in hours or days, a few repeats would not seem to be a big deal vs carrying the weight of the amp and needed power source.

A 100w amp will draw about 20A when key down. A 7 Ahr battery will not last long.

I'd think that a better backwoods rig would be something like the ATS-3, which can put out about 3w for about 8 hr using an 8 pack of AA batteries as a power source. That combination does not take up as much space nor weight as the K2, and so long as you use a lower freq and run NVIS type prop, it should be loud enough.

73 de dave
ab9ca/4