This argument will never die.

But remember the last time you called CQ and a station came back that you could hear, but not copy. (I'm thinking CW, but it also applies to SSB).

You know he is in there, but despite struggling with the narrowest possible bandwidth and every trick your receiver is capable of, you just can't get his call as he floats in and out of the noise.

I maintain that even ONE dB matters in this situation.