Dave,

If you are referring to he Elecraft XV series transverters, then I suggest that you set up the transverter to use 4 watts input. That is a level that is quite controllable and the attenuator in the XV transverter will handle it with no problems. ATU Tune will behave as expected and no harm will come to the transverter.

If you are using something other than the Elecraft XV series, then your comments are valid.

73,
Don W3FPR