David,

I have a further thought about the difficulties of using the KX3 with an
external transverter, if we reduce the maximum power output for the XVTR by
using the XV PWR H setting to say a very low value (say the lowest which is 0.1
Watt), then is there a danger that the relative transmitted wideband amplifier
noise will be higher than if we kept the power at say 4 Watts and then used a
big attenuator on the input of the TX port on the transverter?

All my previous experience with transverters have been with radios that had
dedicated low power transverter RF out ports. Even then there were problems
with thermal power drift, excessive drive levels due to lack of the normal ALC
that radio normally depended on when using it on HF etc.

I presume that there is no way to easily bypass the PA and driver stages within
the KX3 to get lower drive power without reducing the TX gain. I have been
looking at the KX3 schematics trying to work out where the as yet unreleased
KX3 internal 2m transverter gets it drive from and at what level that is.

Perhaps Elecraft may give us some clues or guidance.

What would be neat, but it don't suppose we can expect Elecraft to do it, would
be a board that would replace the planned internal 2m transverter, and would
just act as a lower power transverter output from before the PA stages, on an
SMA connector where the 2m antenna socket will be, with the main antenna BNC as
a receive only port, (though that could be dangerous), perhaps a  low power
TX/RX on the SMA would be best.

73

David Anderson GM4JJJ