I'll second Davids request. I have some transverters that will take a fair amount of RF in, like the Spectrum Communications types, but others expect quite low levels of RF input and, like the other David, I would be bound to forget to turn the internal ASTU off one day...

Dave (G0DJA)

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Anderson" Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2014 10:39 AM Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KX3 External Transverter and ATU TUNE disable optionsuggestion

Hi Don,

Thanks for that.

I was not referring specifically to the Elecraft XV series of transverters, as I have plans to rebuild my home built transverter for 144 MHz. So this was a general comment for those who want to use external transverters with their KX3, as I imagine quite a few may do given the high performance of the radio in such a small package.

Some thought had gone in to supporting transverters by Elecraft with XV offset and XV H power limit and other very useful parameters that can be set, however having to use a large drive power of 4 watts and then attenuate it to a few mW for the transverter mixer is against the QRP principles, and for high duty cycle modes like JT65 is a non starter given the undersized heatsink on the KX3.

One small change in the KX3 firmware to automatically put the ATU mode into BYPASS MODE when an XV is selected would solve this potential problem elegantly. Pretty please!