From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Mark Petiford
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:49 PM
To: elecraft
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 vs KX3

Gary,

The missions of the two radios are quite different.  I can toss the KX3 into
my daypack with some wire for a simple antenna, and I am off to the park or
a nearby wilderness area for a nice day in the field.  That is a one box
solution (transceiver, batteries, antenna tuner, etc.) that is about the
size of a brick, but much lighter.  That is what it is designed to do.  That
is why I bought one.  I had considered a K3 for a long time, but just
couldn't see putting that much money into a radio that would sit on a desk
most of the time.  From the moment I saw the first announcement for the KX3,
I knew it was the radio for me.  The design team at Elecraft worked hard to
get a high performance transceiver into a trail friendly package, and what a
nice package it is.

At home or in my car, I can hook it up to the KXPA100 and have a nice 100w
station in two small boxes including antenna tuner.Same basic radio,
same controls.  That I why I will be buying a KXPA100.

Re: "...and so little heard now about the
K3 on the reflector?"

That is not a bad reflection on the K3, but as a different poster said,
represents its more mature stage of development.  You don't hear as much
about the K2 now, and even less about the K1 and KX1 for the same reason.
So enjoy your K3.  It will not be replaced by the KX3, nor will the K3
replace the KX3.

This old dinosaur is very thankful that he can still get out and walk, and
the KX3 is the perfect fit.  When I can no longer walk, you will see me
headed down the sidewalk on my "hover round scooter" with my KX3
attached and my homebrew magnetic loop antenna sticking up, headed for the
nearest park.  What a sight!  ;-)

Mark
KE6BB