I'm coming late to this party (thread), but I want to object to the implication that the K3 must be reaching the end of development.

There are two ways to pay for development. Either you charge for enhancements to old products, or you come out with new ones. I once suggested to Wayne that he charge for new features after some point. The response singed my eyebrows! This is /never/ going to happen.

So I am always surprised that Elecraft continues to improve the K3 -- more than just providing support for it -- despite the fact that it is an 'old' product. This is very different from what other manufacturers do. But it's understandable that most of the effort goes into new products.

Nevertheless I am looking forward to continued enhancement of the K3. There are certainly areas in which it can be improved, even though it already is one of the top performing amateur transceivers available at any price.

The KX3 is an impressive piece of engineering, but although nobody stops you from using it in a fixed station, it is best adapted to use as a field rig. Personally, I didn't buy one because I have an emotional attachment to my old K2 for that purpose!