Hello Bill,

As I mentioned in this forum in the past, Elecraft is excellent in production
engineering.  They use real good components for the critical parts but also use
the real cheapest components for the rest.  It is nothing wrong with Elecraft
in terms of cost engineering and it is indeed a challenge to the design
engineer as well.

As a result, you are now getting a tin box (yes, the advantage is light weight)
but with excellent specifications in numbers.  I never gave a high score for
the ergonomic of elecraft radios.  The screws in my K3 rust as well and this
never happens in any of my other radios.

From time to time, I have been asked by local hams about my comments about
elecraft radios.  I always say that elecraft radios are excellent but users
have to face a deep learning curve.  I need to read the manuals from cover to
cover as well as KE7X's books.

To conclude, I would consider Elecraft radios are really good but I have to
accept less favourable ergonomics and relatively primitive enclosure and screws
(yes, I know I can pay merely USD20 for stainless steel screws for an over
$2.5k radio).

73

Johnny VR2XMC
K2, K3, KX3, KAT500, KPA500, P3

________________________________
 寄件人︰ Bill W2BLC <w2...@nycap.rr.com>
收件人︰ elecraft@mailman.qth.net
傳送日期︰ 2014年04月3日 (週四) 6:19 PM
主題︰ [Elecraft] K3 - Ergonomics

In a post speaking to the Sherwood chart, it was said, "........too many
people jump on one number to rate (rank) equipment and totally disregard
things like ergonomics (If they didn't the K3 would be at the bottom of
the list)."

What is so bad about how the K3 is designed (ergonomics)? This is not
the first time I have seen this said. I do not find it particularly
challenging to use the panel controls or the menus - but, maybe that's
just me. Is it the lack of curves and swirls or plastic molding? I go
for functionality of design - not eye candy.

The only thing I did to improve the controls on my K3 was to add a
TenTec tire to the main VFO knob - it increases the diameter slightly
and has a nicer feel to it than hard plastic.

Bill K-Line