My first Elecraft was a used K2 (that had serious problems).  When I open the
box, I was seriously disappointed with the looks of it.  Hooking it up and
listening along side my original 746, I heard a lot more stations on the K2 on
my attic dipole than on my "real" outside antenna.  I thought there was
something wrong with my outside antenna.  Long story short, I switched coax,
meters, everything inline, and then antennas, everything and the K2 was SO much
better.  It was the radio, not the antenna.  I was hooked.

I did return the K2 because it had problems, wouldn't transmit on most bands
more than a few tenths of a watt, and no more than 4 watts on any band, and
that was a 100w radio.  Now, I am going to order a new K2.  Well..., I
discovered the K3 and ordered it.  Back then it took 5? Months.  That was the
longest 5 months in my life.  And I loved doing the build when it finally got
here.

Performance is everything and I like the looks of my K3 now, not changing
anything.

Learning curve?  Not necessarily, it works just fine as it comes.  If you want
to "tweak" (in your own mind) some settings later, go ahead, but it is not
really necessary.  Yes I do make my own changes but it does work just like it
comes.

73, Jim KG0KP