I'm a new ham and an even newer K3 owner. For anyone who is function over form
any day, like me - Elecraft's "learning curve" is the whole point!
If i had a radio for which i didn't even need to open the manual - i'd be bored
with it in two days and probably wouldn't use it or care for it as much.
I did get the SS Hardware upgrade by the way (just in case, just because it was
merely $20 after spending over $4K).

My .02c

Slava (Sal) W2RMS