> I sure am glad I didn't know the improperly timed K3 FSK generated by
> the K3's paddle to FSK conversion doesn't work.......

The variable length stop bit, lack of diddles, and lack of unshift on
space (?) can certainly cause problems in marginal conditions.  While
you may not see it with strong signals, ask folks like W7AY or G3YYD
who write RTTY software how much SNR you loose due to the erratic timing
of the paddle sent CW.  Even worse, ask them about character loss due
to framing errors when each character does not start at the proper time.

There are very few users who can consistently send one character every
160 ms on keyer paddles and that's what it takes to generate "clean",
properly timed RTTY (at 45.45 baud - it's even worse at 75 baud).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV