Cutting the bandwidth of the audio going into the modulator is
indistinguishable from narrowing the bandwidth after the modulator.
If you don't believe that run a 1/3 octave EQ (so you have finer
control) between the mic and the input of the K3.

Of course, you can always install an INRAD 2.1 KHz filter in the
K3 and tell the rig it is a 2.7 KHz filter ... that should give
you a tight 400-2600 Hz response.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV